Mayor welcomes veterans to lunch
THE next Mayor of South Ribbleis appealing for servicemen and women from across the borough to join him for a special lunch to commemorate the UK's third annual Veteran's Day in June.
Councillor Barrie Yates, who will become Mayor of South Ribblein May, will host a lunch for sixty local veterans as a mark of appreciation for their services to the country. The event will also provide an opportunity for the new Mayor to thank those ex-servicemen and women who continue to support the community through voluntary or community work.
Places are available to ex-service personnel whatever their age or service experience. However, if more than 60 requests are received, the names shall go in to a draw to determine who should be allocated a place.
The event will be at the Civic Centre, Leyland on Friday 27 June with lunch commencing at 12.30pm. Guests are encouraged to arrive from middayso that the Mayor can buy everyone a drink at the bar!
The Mayor Elect of South Ribble, Councillor Barrie Yates, said,
"The people who have served in the forces deserve to be commemorated for their efforts. We hope by bringing together veterans on this special day, we can offer a token of our gratitude. Last year's lunch event was a success and this year we are hoping to build on that. If anyone is interested in attending then please get in touch as soon as possible."
If you would like to apply for a place at the Mayor's Veteran's Day lunch event, or for further information, please call the Mayor's secretary on 01772 625542.
Last updated: 26 February 2008
Also in this Section
- Bamber Bridge Area committee meeting
- Benefits Cheat pleads Guilty
- Black and White times
- Council set to keep its promise with lower than inflation tax rise
- Eastern area issues up for discussion
- Free travel for over-60s leaves Council with tough cash dilemma
- Have your say on councillors' cash
- Higher Penwortham issues are on the agenda
- Issues up for discussion at Penwortham South Area Committee
- Mayor welcomes veterans to lunch
- Memories from the Munich Air Disaster on display
- Shining example of how to cut crime
- Something for everyone
- South Ribble Central Area committee meeting
- South Ribble's area committees set to get a new look
- Spring comes early to Leyland
- Western Parishes area committee
- Wind in the Willows comes to Worden Park