Friday, 24 January 2020
Eligible residents encouraged to apply for home improvements to keep warm this winter
ELIGIBLE residents are being encouraged to apply for home improvements as part of South Ribble Borough Council’s Winter Warm Scheme to help better insulate properties and keep vulnerable people warm.
South Ribble Borough Council are offering eligible residents (whose existing windows are single-glazed, and whose front and back doors are made of timber) the chance to benefit from a maximum of two double-glazed windows plus a brand new UPVC front door and back door.
The scheme is only open to South Ribble residents over the age of 65, living with a pre-existing medical condition. Eligible applicants must have been:
- diagnosed with a cardiovascular condition
- diagnosed with a respiratory condition (in particular, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease)
- diagnosed with mental health conditions
- diagnosed with a disability, or disabilities
- diagnosed with a terminal illness
- diagnosed as having a suppressed immune system (e.g. from cancer treatment or HIV)
- suffering from mobility issues
- admitted to hospital due to a fall
Applicants from a property which houses one or more disabled residents are also urged to apply.
Councillor Bill Evans, Cabinet Member for Housing, Regeneration and City Deal at South Ribble Borough Council, said:
“Insulating your home with double glazing and UPVC doors has been proven to dramatically reduce your heating bill, whilst also keeping your house warmer during the coldest months of the year.
“We do not want to see our most vulnerable residents suffer from the cold or feel that they cannot afford to put the heating on because their insulation, windows and doors are inadequate.
“For this reason, I am today urging South Ribble residents to get in touch and apply to our Winter Warm Scheme.
“Please read the eligibility criteria carefully, and if you tick all the boxes, then do not hesitate in submitting your application.
“The council would be absolutely delighted to help keep your home warmer for longer through better windows and doors.”
Residents who have already benefitted from the scheme in the past cannot apply again.
To apply, please get in touch with the council as soon as possible.
Telephone the council on 01772 421 491 or email email@example.com.
Full details and terms and conditions can be found on the council’s website at southribble.gov.uk/winter-warm-scheme.
Key terms and conditions
- Replacement windows and doors will be in white UPVC and the scheme will cover a maximum of two windows per property, as well as one new front door and one new back door per property
- In order to qualify for the improvements, the applicant’s property must currently be fitted only with single-glazed windows and timber doors
- The scheme can be withdrawn at any time once the funding has been allocated, and funding will be allocated on a ‘first come, first served’ basis
- Residents who have benefitted from the scheme previously will not qualify