Toggle menu

Existing claims

Notify us of a change of circumstances

Its important to let us know if any of your circumstances change as this could affect an existing claim.

Tell us of a change in circumstances

Appeal a decision

If you think a decision made regarding a claim is incorrect, you can appeal.

Appeal a decision 

I've been overpaid

What is an overpayment?

An overpayment of benefit occurs when you are paid benefit to which you are not entitled.

How will I know when I have an overpayment?

You will receive letters from us giving the full details of the overpayment. The letters will tell you:

  • What caused the overpayment
  • The dates that the overpayment covers
  • The amount of the overpayment
  • What to do if you disagree with the overpayment
  • How we intend to recover the overpayment

How will a Council Tax Support overpayment be recovered?

The overpaid Council Tax Support will be added to your Council Tax account. You will be sent a new adjustment notice showing how much Council Tax you owe.

How will a Housing Benefit overpayment be recovered?

  • If you are still receiving Housing Benefit we may deduct from your ongoing weekly benefit entitlement.
  • If you are no longer receiving Housing Benefit we may send you an invoice
  • If the Housing Benefit was paid to your landlord we may send an invoice to your landlord
  • If you have moved and are receiving Housing Benefit from another council, we may ask them to recover the overpayment from your weekly benefit entitlement on our behalf
  • If you are receiving Social Security benefits we may ask The Department for Work and Pensions to make deductions from your benefit on our behalf
  • We may transfer your debt to a collection agency

How can I pay a Housing Benefit invoice?

  • You can make an Automated Telephone Payment (ATP) by ringing 0300 4560511 from a touchtone phone and following the prompts.
  • You can set up a regular BACS transfer. You must ensure that you quote the invoice number with any payment. South Ribble Borough Council's bank details are as follows:

Bank:                 Barclays Bank plc
Sort Code:          20-69-93
Account No:       73548465
Reference:        (please quote the Housing Benefit invoice number)

If you are unable to pay the invoice in full, please contact us on 01772 625518 to discuss making an arrangement to repay the invoice in more manageable instalments.

In order to reduce the chances of having an overpayment, please tell us of any changes as soon as they happen.

If we are already recovering an overpayment from your weekly benefit entitlement and you want to request that we reduce the recovery rate, you will need to complete a Financial Information Request form.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email