Toggle menu

Houses in multiple occupation

In October 2018 the law regarding Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMO's) is changing, click to see the most recent Government Legislation governing HMO's to view details of the changes.

A House in Multiple Occupation is a property which contains more than one household, e.g. bedsits, a typical 'student house', other properties also fall into this category.

The law requires all HMO's which have 5 or more people living in them to hold a licence issued by the Council.

Landlords must apply for a license in plenty of time as operating a licensable HMO without a license is an offense and they could face an unlimited fine.

The licenses are valid for a period of 5 years.

HMO application form (PDF) [233KB]

Submit completed application form here

One received the application forms will be processed and an officer will arrange to visit the property to undertake an inspection.

For more information please phone Environmental Health on 01772 62 5340 or e-mail

If you are aware of any HMO's that you think are not licensed and need to be please contact the department in confidence.

For information, South Ribble Borough Council has not designated any part of its district as subject to selective licensing of residential accommodation.

Also, there is no Planning Article 4 Direction in place in relation to HMO's.

See HMO Licence Register

Further Housing information

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email