Toggle menu
Are you eligible for your first dose of the Covid vaccine?
Don't hesitate to get your vaccination. Find out if you're eligible and how to book.

Environmental health

Environmental health: Privacy notice
Council ServiceEnvironmental Health
Why we use personal information about you

To investigate a service request you have made or are involved with

  • To investigate a service request made about you - in this case information would be collected in accordance with the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act & other appropriate legislation.
  • To ensure that we meet our statutory duties
Why we are allowed to use your personal information

Legal obligation or public task under various UK laws including but not limited to:

  • Animal Boarding Establishment Act 1963
  • Animal Welfare Act 2006
  • Animal Health Act 1981
  • Animal Health & Welfare Act 1984
  • Anti-social Behaviour Act 2003
  • Anti-social Behaviour, Crime and Policing Act 2014
  • Breeding of Dogs Acts 1973 +1991
  • Breeding and Sale of Dogs (Welfare) Act 1999
  • Building Act 1984
  • Burial Act 1857
  • Caravan Sites Act 1968
  • Caravan Sites & Control of Development Act 1960
  • Control of Horses Act 2015
  • Christmas Day (Trading) Act 2004
  • Clean Air Act 1993
  • Clean Neighbourhoods Act 2005
  • Contaminants in Food (England) Regs 2013  Control of Pollution Act 1974
  • Criminal Justice & Police Act 2001
  • Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976
  • Deer Act 1991
  •  Dog (Fouling of Land) Act 1996
  • Environment Act 1995
  • Environmental Damage (Prevention & Remediation) Regs 2009
  • Environmental Protection Act 1990
  • European Communities Act 1972
  • EC Reg 852/2004 - Hygiene of foodstuffs
  • EC Reg 853/2004 - Products of Animal Origin
  • EC Reg 882/2004 Official controls on compliance
  • EC Reg 178/2002
  • Factories Act 1961
  • Food Safety Act 1990
  • Food Safety & Hygiene (England) Regs 2013 - Regs 6,8,9,10,14,16,29
  • Gambling Act 2005
  • Gambling (Licensing and Advertising) Act 2014
  • General Food Regs 2004
  • Guard Dog Act 1975
  • The Health Act 2006
  • Trade in Animals & Related Products Regulations 2011
  • Health Protection (Local Authority) Regs 2010
  • Health Protection (Part 2a Orders) Regs 2010
  • Health Protection (Notification) Regs 2010
  • Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 s.19, 20, 21,
  • 22, 25 & 39
  • Housing Acts 1985 and 2004
  • Housing and Planning Act 2016
  • Land Drainage Acts 1976 and 1991
  • Licensing Act 2003
  • Local Government Act 2003
  • Local Government (Misc. Provisions) Act 1976
  • Local Government (Misc. Provisions) Act 1982
  • Mobile Homes Act 2013
  • National Assistance Acts 1948 & 1951
  • Noise Act 1996
  • Noise and Statutory Nuisance Act 1993
  • Official Feed & Food Controls (England) Regs 2009
  • Pet Animals Act 1951
  • Pollution Prevention and Control Act 1999
  • Prevention of Damage by Pests Act 1949
  • Products of Animal Origin -Third Country Imports Regs
  • Public Health Acts 1936, 1961
  • Public Health (Control of Disease) Act 1984
  • Quick Frozen Foodstuffs (England) Regs 2007
  • Riding Establishments Act 1964
  • Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013 
  • Slaughter of Poultry Act 1967
  • Slaughterhouse Act 1974
  • Smoke and Carbon Monoxide (England) Regulations 2015
  • Smoke-free Premises & Enforcement Regs 2006
  • Smoke-free Signs Regs 2007
  • Smoke-free Exemptions & Vehicles Regs 2007
  • Smoke-free Penalties & Discounted Amounts Regs 2007
  • Smoke-free Vehicle Operators & Penalty Notices Regs 2007
  • Sunbeds (Regulations) Act 2010
  • Sunday Trading Act 1994
  • The Redress Schemes for Lettings Agency Work and Property Management Work (Requirement to Belong to a Scheme etc) (England) Order 2014 - Enterprise and Regulatory Reform Act 2013
  • Trade in Animal & Related Products Regs 2011
  • Water Industry Act 1991
  • Water Resources Act 1991
  • Wildlife & Countryside Act 1981
  • Zoo Licensing Act 1981
What sort of information we may hold about you

The personal Data can vary widely depending on the type of work we are dealing with you for but may include information such as;

  • your households names,
  • date of birth,
  • contact details,
  • any agencies working with you for specific purposes such as but not limited to offending, child protection and support needs
  • special category personal data such as medical information - this would usually only be where we are investigating an accident or infectious disease.
How long we may keep your personal information

Your information will be held electronically or on paper and usually retained for a period of 6 years after closure of your case.

In a few cases such as accidents affecting children the information will be held for longer periods.

Your information will be held securely and treated confidentially.

Who we share your personal data with
  • Information about business may be shared with other agencies and government departments including but not limited to FSA, HSE, DEFRA, HMRC
  • Information about individuals may also be shared with Public Health England and medical professionals.
  • Where you have made a complaint concerning ant-social behaviour your details will be shared with other agencies based on the consent you have given at the time the complaint was made.
  • The Council has a duty to protect the public funds it administers and may use the information you have provided or share it with other bodies for the purpose of preventing and detecting fraud.
  • We may share your information for the lawful purpose of the prevention and detection of crime under the Crime and Disorder Act 1998
  • We may share your information with other Council services to ensure our records are accurate and up to date
  • We may share your data with Chorley Council as part of the shared services arrangements.
When computers make any decisions about youN/A
When your data gets sent to other countriesN/A
Your Rights

You have the right to:

  • Request a copy of your information ( known as a subject access request)
  • Complain to the information Commissioners office about the way the Council processes your information If you require further information about the use of your data or would like to exercise any of the above rights please contact: the Data protection officer at South Ribble Borough council


Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email


Print this page