Toggle menu

Other Licences

Caravan Site Licensing 

The Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960 prohibits the use of land as a caravan site unless the occupier holds a site licence issued by the local authority.

A caravan site includes anywhere a caravan (including mobile or 'park' home) is situated and occupied for human habitation including touring sites and single sites. Sites can be for permanent caravans (utilised as holiday caravans), touring caravans or permanent residential caravans.

How to apply

If you wish to change the use of land to a permanent caravan site you must have planning permission before you apply for a licence.

To apply for a caravan site licence:

Please note that a caravan licence can not be issued to a person who has had a site licence revoked within three years of the date of their current application.

On 21st March 2018 The General Licensing Committee adopted the South Ribble Borough Council Fees Policy 2017/2018, please see below link.

Mobile Homes Fee Policy

Fit and Proper Persons Register

The Mobile Homes (Requirement for Manager of Site to be Fit and Proper Person) (England) Regulations 2020 ("the Regulations") introduced a fit and proper person test for mobile home site owners or the person appointed to manage the site, unless exempted by the Regulations.

From 1 October 2021, unless the site is exempt, the site owner must:

• be a fit and proper person to lawfully operate a park home site, or

• have a fit and proper site manager in place

Mobile Homes Fit and Proper Persons test (PDF) [91KB]

Fit and Proper Persons Register (Excel doc) [15KB]


A caravan site licence is not required for:

  • Incidental use within the cartilage of a dwelling house;
  • Single caravan sited for no more than two consecutive nights for a maximum of 28 days in 12 months;
  • Holdings of five acres or more, if not more that 28 days in 12 months, and a maximum of three caravans at any one time;
  • Sites occupied by exempted organisations e.g. such as the Caravan Club;
  • Sites of up to five caravans that are certified by an exempted organisation and which are for members only;
  • Sites occupied by the local authority;
  • Sites for special or temporary purposes, such as agricultural and forestry workers, building and engineering sites and travelling salesmen;
  • Sites where caravans are kept for storage only (driveways, retailers, storage parks).

Licence conditions

The council has the discretion to withhold a licence and it may specify conditions on any licence that it does grant. These conditions will be tailored to the individual application. Site licence conditions are designed to protect the health, safety and welfare of caravan occupants and include:

  •  The type of caravan
  •  Fire safety precautions
  •  Sanitary facilities
  •  The positioning, density and distance between caravans.

Once licensed, sites will be subject to routine inspections to ensure compliance with the conditions. All complaints will be investigated.

There is no time limit to the licence and it will expire when the planning permission expires. Any major changes to the site may affect the licence, so you must inform us when such changes occur.

If the site ownership changes, the council may agree to transfer an existing licence to a new licensee.

Model standards

Click here to view the adopted model standards (PDF) [595KB]

Public Register of Protected Site Rules

The Mobile Home Act 2013 requires that the operators of protected residential park home sites deposit site rules with the local authority. The Council is required to keep a public register of site rules.

Site rules which have been deposited with South Ribble Borough Council can be viewed below:

Carrwood Park (PDF) [192KB]

Croft Park Site Rules (PDF) [1MB]

Penwortham Residential Park Site Rules (PDF) [198KB]

Street Trading

Licensing permissions are required for a number of areas, ranging from acupuncture, food businesses and second hand goods - to street collections and tattooing.

Follow this link for more information and a downloadable application form for street trading, which covers ice cream vans, burger vans and car boot sales.

If you would like more information about any of these areas, or whether another area would require licensing, get in touch with us.


Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email