© South Ribble Borough Council 2019


Banding information

Most dwellings are subject to Council Tax. There is one bill per dwelling, whether it is a house, bungalow, flat, maisonette, mobile home or houseboat, and whether it is owned or rented.

This page contains information regarding the current bands, who is liable, appeals and recovery.

Checking your Council Tax Band

The Valuation Office Agency (VOA) is responsible for maintaining the council tax valuation lists for England and Wales. You can search online for a council tax banding using a service from the VOA. If you wish to search for a banding please use the link below.

The results page will display the billing authority reference number, the full postal address and the band within which the property falls. This can then be checked against the table below.

VOA Check your Council Tax Band

If you have an enquiry regarding your Council Tax band you need to contact the Valuation Office agency at www.gov.uk/voa/contact

Council Tax Bands 2020-21

Each dwelling is allocated to a band for the purposes of Council Tax. The bands are based on the market value of the property as at 1st April 1991. The band determines the proportion of the band D Council Tax which you pay.

The table below shows the sum total of what you will need to pay this year, taking into account the amounts required by South Ribble Borough Council, Lancashire County Council, Lancashire's Police and Crime Commissioner, Lancashire Combined Fire Authority and your town or parish council if you have one. Your council tax bill will provide you with a detailed breakdown of the amounts requested by each.

Below are the figures for all the preceptors for 2020/21:


2020/21 parish banding charges
Parish or area A B C D E F G H
Range of values Up to and including £40,000 £40,001 to £52,000 £52,001 to £68,000 £68,001 to £88,000 £88,001 to £120,000 £120,001 to £160,000 £160,001 to £320,000 More than £320,001
Proportion of Band D Council Tax 6/9 7/9 8/9 9/9 11/9 13/9 15/9 18/9
Farington £1268.45 £1500.84 £1715.27 £1929.66 £2358.48 £2787.28 £3216.11 £3859.32
Hutton £1286.53 £1500.94 £1715.37 £1929.78 £2358.62 £2787.46 £3216.31 £3859.56
Little Hoole £1288.89 £1503.69 £1718.52 £1993.32 £2362.95 £2792.57 £3222.21 £3866.64
Longton £1295.32 £1511.19 £1727.09 £1942.96 £2374.73 £2806.49 £3238.28 £3885.92
Much Hoole £1304.37 £1521.75 £1739.16 £1956.54 £2391.33 £2826.11 £3260.91 £3913.08
Penwortham £1285.61 £1499.86 £1714.15 £1928.40 £2356.94 £2785.46 £3214.01 £3856.80
Samlesbury and Cuerdale £1281.26 £1708.34 £1708.34 £1921.87 £2348.96 £2776.03 £3203.13 £3843.74
All other areas £1270.59 £1482.34 £1694.12 £1905.87 £2329.40 £2752.92 £3176.46 £3881.74


The general rule is that the OCCUPIER of an occupied property is liable for the council tax.

However, there are exceptions (e.g. houses in multiple occupation, occupied by several families or several individuals who are not joint tenants) where the OWNER is liable.

Couples, whether married or not, and joint tenants/owners are jointly and severally liable. OWNERS are liable for council tax on empty properties.


Appeals against valuation bands should be made to:-

Council Tax North, Manchester Valuation Office, Manchester One, 53 Portland Street, Manchester. M1 3LD. E-mail: ctnorth@voa.gsi.gov.uk. Tel 03000 501501 or follow this link for the website.

If you are considering a banding appeal, you may find it useful to know that property values used are those at 1st April 1991. Recent purchase prices are not necessarily the best evidence. Council Tax was introduced on 1st April 1993 and everyone could challenge their banding until 30th November 1993.

Since 1st December 1993 there are only limited occasions when taxpayers can challenge their banding. They can do so after demolition, conversion of houses into flats or physical changes in the locality affecting the value. You can also challenge within six months of a band change made to your property by the Listing Officer, a band change to a similar property to being made by a court, or when you become a new council taxpayer.

Banding appeals and queries should be made directly to the Listing Officer as described above.

You can appeal against liability; refusal of discounts; refusal of exemption and refusal of disabled persons' relief.

(1) Firstly, you should appeal in writing to the council giving your reasons. Your appeal should be addressed to the Revenues Manager at the Civic Centre.

(2) If you do not receive a decision on your appeal within 21 days of writing, or you do receive a decision but disagree with it, you can appeal to:

VT Office Doncaster; Hepworth House; 2 Trafford Court; Doncaster; Yorkshire; DN1 1PN. Tel: 0300 1232035. Email vtdoncaster@vts.gsi.gov.uk