© South Ribble Borough Council 2019


Houses in Multiple Occupation

In October 2018 the law regarding Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMO’s) is changing, click here to view details of the changes. A House in Multiple Occupation is a property which contains more than one household, e.g. bedsits, a typical ‘student house’, other properties also fall into this category.

The law requires all HMO’s which have 5 or more people living in them to hold a licence issued by the Council.

Landlords must apply for a license in plenty of time as operating a licensable HMO without a license is an offense and they could face an unlimited fine.

The licenses are valid for a period of 5 years.

You can access an application form, or upload a completed form by clicking here.

As part of the application process you will need to submit details of the boundary of the property, if you don't already have any documents which contain this, you can use the our Web Mapping App by clicking here.

One received the application forms will be processed and an officer will arrange to visit the property to undertake an inspection.

For more information please phone Environmental Health on 01772 5340 or e-mail envhealth@southribble.gov.uk.

If you are aware of any HMO’s that you think are not licensed and need to be please contact the department in confidence.