Toggle menu

Council Tax

Why not sign up today for paperless notifications! Did you know it costs us around 50p to send a letter through the post? You can make your life easier, save paper, and save us money by signing up to paperless notifications. It's easy to sign up and only takes a few minutes.

Pay Council Tax

View information on how to pay your Council Tax.

Pay Council Tax by Direct Debit

Paying by Direct Debit is a safe and easy way to pay your Council Tax.

View Council Tax bill online

You can view your Council Tax bill using our Council Tax online service. Using our Council Tax online service, you can view Council Tax details such as: the balance on your account, payments you have made, correspondence we have sent you

What Council Tax is used for

We receive only 11% of the total Council Tax we collect from each household (based on a band D property). The rest is distributed to Lancashire County Council, police, fire, and local parish councils. View more information on the breakdown of Council Tax.

Council Tax bands and charges

Council Tax is a property-based tax which contributes towards council services, as well as fire and police services. Every property is in a band and the charge is based on 2 adult residents. How much you pay depends on which band your house is in. The bands and value of properties is set by the Governments Valuation Office.

Council Tax empty properties

A discount of 50% may apply where a property is empty. A discount of 25% may apply where a property has been empty between 6 and 24 months.

Moving home

You will need to let us know when you move home so we can adjust your Council Tax bill.

Report a change that may affect your Council Tax

If your circumstances change, the amount of Council Tax you pay might changes. You need to tell us of any changes within 21 days

Council Tax appeals

Appeal against your Council Tax valuation band, your Council Tax calculation or your Council Tax support calculation.

Problems paying Council Tax

If you are struggling to pay your Council Tax, you must take action before things get worse. You may be able to get help if you are having difficulty.

What happens if you don't pay

The law says you must pay your Council Tax on time. If you fail to pay, we will take action to recover what you owe.

Council Tax payment plan

If you are struggling to pay your Council Tax or are behind with your payments, contact us as soon as possible and we will do our best to try and resolve the problem with you.

Council Tax refund

You can request a refund if your Council Tax account is overpaid. This could happen if you have: overpaid, moved out of the borough, been awarded a discount or exemption, been awarded Council Tax reduction (formerly Council Tax benefit) •had the band of your property reduced

Empty homes review

View information on empty homes review

Council Tax and National Fraud Initiative

We are required to protect the public funds we administer and participate in the Cabinet Office's National Fraud Initiative (NFI). It is a mandatory requirement that we supply Council Tax and Electoral Register Data (annually).

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email