© South Ribble Borough Council 2019

Local Land Charges

A Local Land Charge Search is required by prospective purchasers to ensure they are not caught out by the existence of obligations or ‘charges’, which are binding on successive owners or occupiers of land and property.

A standard search comprises two parts:

  • LLC1 – registerable charges, improvement grants, Tree Preservation Orders etc.
  • CON29R – road schemes, planning history etc.

In addition the CON29O covers optional enquiries including public paths, byways and common land.

A search is backed up by the original source documents and the Land Charges Register, which is regularly updated. The value of having a fully authenticated accurate search cannot be underestimated and you can instruct your solicitor to use the local authority to carry out your search.

Please note that VAT has been implemented (as of 31 March, 2017), as per instructions from HMRC.

Land Charge Fees


LLC1 £22
Con29 £123.60
LLC1 + Con29 £145.60
Con29O (submitted separately)
(questions 4,6,12,18,21,22 inclusive)

Con29O (questions other than the above)

£18 each
More than one parcel of land £36
Each additional enquiry
(subject to the willingness of the borough council to answer such enquiries)
Personal search appointments Free











Prices include VAT at 20% where applicable.

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need a plan?
Two copies of the O.S plan showing property boundaries outlined in Red are required for all searches preferably on 1:1250 scale.

What are the turnaround times?
10 Working days either by post or via e mail, searches will not begin to be processed till all fees have been paid in full.

What areas do you cover?
All areas within the borough of South Ribble

How do I get a copy of the documents referred to in the search result?
If you require a copy of a document referred to on a local land charge contact the relevant dept at the council.

Do you answer drainage questions?
No, you need to contact United Utilities.

Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL)
Personal search companies wanting to identify if a property has a CIL should enquire at the time of booking.

Drainage Matters (SuDS)
These matters are answered by Lancashire County Council and any enquiries about SuDS should be refered to them.

Assets of Community Value
Please follow this link to see South Ribble Borough Council's Assets of Community Value.