Toggle menu

Empty properties

Empty properties

Tackling empty properties is a priority for South Ribble Borough Council.

However, it is only when a property has been unoccupied for more than six months that the council will become involved.

We can work with owners of long-term empty properties to offer advice and assistance; encourage renovation or sale; enforce use or sale of the property through Compulsory Purchase Orders or empty dwelling management orders, and we can assist you to rent out your property on a short or long-term basis.

If you suspect a property is empty, please report this to us and ensure you have the property number and road name when you call.

Action on Empty Homes is an independent charity which raises awareness of the waste of empty homes, and it can offer advice and information for a variety of groups. Visit their website.

Tracing an owner

Anyone interested in buying an empty property will need to contact the current owner and negotiate a sale.

South Ribble Borough Council does not arrange for the sale of privately-owned empty properties, nor does it accept any liability for negotiations between vendors and buyers.

Land Registry has the details of registered owners of properties and, as it is public information, you can access the details for a minimal charge. However, not all properties are registered and many owners give their registered address as the empty one but you will be able to get a name.

Remember - an empty property is a wasted asset!

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email