DBS Enhanced Disclosure Guidance
How to obtain an Original DBS Certificate
In order that the Licensing Authority may check with the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) for the existence and extent of any criminal record held by the applicant you must complete the on-line check and have your identification documents verified with one of the Council's Gateway officers.
This check costs £60.
Please note; DBS forms form other authorities/sources will not be accepted.
To apply for a DBS - you will need to bring the following documentation with you;
- 1 Document from Group 1 and 2 from either Group 2a or 2b or
- 2 Documents from Group 1 and 1 from either Group 2a or 2b or
- 3 Documents from Group 1
- Photo driving licence UK
- Valid passport
- Original Birth Certificate UK
- Biometric Residence Permit UK
- Certified copy of a Birth Certificate (UK and Channel Islands)
- Photo driving licence (non-UK)
- Adoption Certificate (UK
- Marriage/Civil Partnership Certificate (UK)
- Older style Paper Driving Licence (UK)
- HM Forces ID card (UK)
- Firearms Licence (UK, Channel Islands and Isle of Man)
- Bank or building society statement (UK or EEA)
- Financial statement
- Council Tax statement (UK)
- Utility Bill
- Central/Local Government/Government Agency/Local Authority
- Cards carrying the PASS accreditation logo (UK)
- Bank/Building society account opening confirmation letter (UK)
- Letter from a Head Teacher
- Credit card statement (UK or EEA)
- P45/P60 statement (UK)
- Work permit/VISA (UK)
- Benefit Statement
- EU National ID card
- Mortgage statement (UK or EEA)
- Letter fo sponsorship from future employment provider (Non-Uk, Nn-EEA)
How to sign up to the DBS Update Service
What you'll need
- Access to a computer/internet
- Original DBS certificate that has been issued in the last 28 days. (See 'date of issue' on certificate for this information).
- A Debit or Credit card to make payment and Bank Account details to set up a Direct Debit.
How much will this cost
£13 per year
DBS Original certificate
Once you have obtained your original enhanced DBS certificate at a cost of £60 you can then apply for the DBS update service through Gov.uk.
You will need to pay a fee of £13 to register initially and then an annual payment of £13 by Direct Debit.
An email will then be generated confirming all payment information, along with a 'code' for anyone wishing to perform a Self-Serve check from home (see below for more information).
*Please note all payments are made directly through the Gov.uk website - South Ribble Borough Council have no direct involvement with the Gov.uk website and cannot take payments for this service.
Step by Step instructions
1) Log on to Gov.uk
2) Search 'DBS'
3) Select 'DBS update service'
4) Select 'Register for the update service' (You'll find this under 'How to register')
5) The Update Service page - Follow the easy steps and subscribe.
What happens next?
You will be asked to produce your original DBS certificate to The Council on an annual basis for the Licensing Unit to perform a DBS update check through the Gov.uk website. If you wish to perform this check yourself at home, please be advised the DBS update check must have been issued in the last 24hrs when produce to The Council along with your original DBS. If no new information is recorded on the DBS update check the application will be accepted. However, if the DBS update check contains new information the applicant will be asked to apply for a new DBS to satisfy The Council's Policy.