© South Ribble Borough Council 2018 

Universal Credit

From the 18th July 2018, South Ribble will be migrating to a Full Service Universal Credit area.  This means that the way you apply for help towards your rent will be changing.

If you are on a low income or out of work, you may be eligible for Universal Credit.

Universal Credit is a monthly payment and is replacing the following benefits:

  • Housing Benefit
  • Jobseekers Allowance
  • Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Working Tax Credit

If you are already receiving one or more of these benefits, your local Jobcentre Plus will be letting you know when you will be moving onto Universal Credit. However, if you want to make a new claim for one of the benefits listed above, you will need to make a claim for Universal Credit instead.

To make a claim, you will need to do it online here

You can still claim Housing Benefit if:

  • You are a Pensioner
  • You have more than 2 children (unless you have had Universal Credit in the last 6 months)
  • You live in temporary/homeless accommodation, supported accommodation or in a refuge

You will also still need to make any claim for Council Tax Support with us.

To claim Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Support, please go online here

If you would like more information on Universal Credit, please go to www.gov.uk/universal-credit.